July 15


July 15, 2020

Dear LGA,                                                                                                                                                  

This morning I sit on the porch on the East side of Cleverdale, 402 miles and a world away from Baltimore, my home over the last twenty years, wrestling with the pathos of how my “isolation place” in these incredibly difficult times is also my image of Heaven. Buzz Lamb said to me yesterday over coffee, “When I tell people where I’m from, I let them know that making a phone call from Lake George to Heaven is a local call.” LGA members know that he’s right, of course; as I write these words, the sun is burning through the fog that’s shrouding Pilot Knob, casting crystals on the dappled water in front of me. Belinda Carlisle sang the song years ago… it’s “heaven right here on earth.”

But my present wrestling match, of course, involves the confluence of this heavenly environment with the world and the myriad effects of COVID in particular. Buzz and I had gotten together at The Waters Edge up in Bolton to talk about another row I plan to take this summer, but our conversation naturally turned to the here and now, to the pain and life-and-death realities dominating the news and affecting millions of lives. Buzz had written stories about my earlier rowing adventures from Troy to Baltimore and from Ontario to Cleverdale, but those were undertaken in ‘normal’ times. Those tales were human interest stories, light-hearted breaks from more serious news, an appropriate colorization of life before everything changed.

But now? This summer? Sitting with Buzz, I wondered how a retired teacher’s “row” could be of any interest to anyone in times like these.  In fact, how self-absorbed might this adventure seem in the context of all that is happening?  One of my former students put it well when he said, “OK, Mr. Frei, so, you’re looking to try to make something good out of something stupid, right?” (To him, the idea of a 69 year-old rowing a boat for hundreds of miles captured the idea of “stupid” and was, I think, conveyed with eloquent brevity.) 

The truth is, I was planning to row anyway. I take these trips every few years and now that I’m retired, on the back side of a cancer scare in January and missing my mom who passed away so suddenly in February, the idea of two weeks of rowing in relative isolation, of being able to reflect and express my gratitude for life and love seems not only a luxury, but an imperative. Especially now.

So the “something good,” the catalyst for this outreach, is the LGA and Lake George. If I can incite pledges to the LGA in its mission to educate, to steward, and to preserve, I’ll have done something good. I hope that you will join me on this row, vicariously, of course, and add your support to the vital work of the LGA.

The logistics are this: “One Lap Around” will take me from Cleverdale to the Canadian border and back, one lap around Champlain and Lake George – lovely inland waters more kind than the St Lawrence which beat me up some years ago and less daunting than the salty seas between here and Baltimore. I’ll not take any of this “heavenly trail” for granted, but I expect the greater challenges and lessons of this row might be faced ashore. How will people feel about a welcoming a stranger into their midst right now? How will hospitality fare amid understandable caution, and even fear? Homer’s Odyssey featured the idea of an obligatory hospitality to strangers as a recurring and reassuring theme, but Odysseus faced a mere Cyclops, for example, not a COVID-conscious environment.      

 I will try to write daily as I prepare for this adventure and after each day’s rowing. I suspect that, all-told, this will be about a 350 mile circumnavigation, perhaps more as I follow the contours of the shore, and if I average 32 miles each day (eight hours in the seat at 4 mph, 10 hours at 3.2), I may be able to row past the Lake George Village two weeks or so after I start.

But this is not about speed, or distance. It’s about gratitude, hope, and community. It’s about paying it forward.

Peace, love, and happiness…and good health,

 Al Freihofer

 

 

 


Comments

Popular Posts