Eve of the Row


The time for getting ready to get ready has now passed.

I’m here on the porch at 5:00 PM, the sun is casting its golden hue on Rockhurst’s western shore, a fortifying beverage and light meal lie in front of me, and in twelve hours I plan to be four miles up the lake, assuming a 15 minute per mile early pace. I hope to get as far as Crown Point on Champlain by tomorrow night, including the two-mile portage through Ticonderoga, so tomorrow will be a monster day…maybe the longest of the row. Hence, the early start.

So bedtime is almost here. I’ve got all my stuff packed and arrayed for easy loading into the boat in the morning; the sliding seat and rails and oars are tuned up (ha ha!), my first day’s snacks and water will be in easy reach, and some rain gear is packed at the top in case tomorrow’s predicted storms show up.

I’ll be in a rowboat tomorrow. Of course, they’ll show up.

And, (hey, just sayin’ here), I sent in my contribution to the LGA this morning – a plucky payment assuming I’ll make it at least most of the way through. Maybe my check will find some company before this is through?

Thanks for joining me. I’m so lucky to be able to do this…to have the health to take it on, the means to step away to do it, and the familial and friendship support to encourage me to try. I am one lucky dude.

Peace, love, and happiness…and to a healthy Lake George, too.

Al 


July 4th, 2007 - Erie Canal

Comments

Popular Posts