End of Day 5




Ausable Campground = 35.2 (all upwind) miles 

It's 8:15, and I'm in lockdown in my tent. Flies the size of robins with appetites like my brother-in-law are scheming to get in; they have experience in this.

This will be short. All upwind today, 10 hours in the seat, and a very dicey crossing of Cumberland Bay as it really kicked up. I used poor judgment in starting across when I did, and had to employ all my lessons learned to get to the other side. Stupid ... lucky ... relieved.

Champlain was beautiful today despite the contrary winds. The water seemed especially clear as it tried to drive me into the headwalls, and the Vermont vistas across the lake are postcard perfect.

I'm trying to stay on the NY side to make it a true 'loop' or 'lap,' but I paid a price for it today. Now I'm committed to the NY side ... VT is too far across ... but maybe my luck will change. 

Circe gave Odysseus a bag of wind to open in pinch. Oh, Circe.

As I was setting up my tent, an ice cream truck cruised the campground. I'm surprised at how 'Love Story' played repeatedly in a jaunty, crisp, upbeat bell-tone can incite a desire for a strawberry shortcake.

It's dark now.

I'm bushed.

Love to you all - more later. 

xxxooo


Comments

  1. "Flies the size of robins with appetites like my brother-in-law are scheming to get in," gave me a great chuckle. Good luck Uncle Al - I know you'll need it. Homer also wrote, “There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep.”

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts